Sunday, June 29, 2008

babies on the brain part 2

so i know i have been leaving you all in the lurch about my thoughts on TTC
i'm sorry for my absence and leaving you all in suspense for so long! i looked at my blog and realized i hadn't posted since the 18th of June- Yikes! where has the time gone?

however i do have an excellent excuse as to why i was absent for so long. you see my good friends Mandy and Blake just had a beautiful baby boy named Cristian! He is sooo adorable and i am very, very excited for them as they start their journey as parents. I was fortunate enough to be asked to come see them while they were still in the hospital- it always makes you feel like VIP when you get asked to come see your friends newborn in the hospital :0) so i went with the hubs, camera in hand of course, and met Cristian for the first time. Darin and I both got to hold him and of course couldn't decide who should pick him up first- i am still very new at the whole newborn picking up thing so Blake helped us out and picked Cristian up for us :0). once we had him in our arms it was pure delight. blake immediately turned on his camera which he has on him for every occasion- he never misses a beat! he has successfully documented Cristian's first,second and even third days in the world! i was lucky enough to get some cute shots of Cristian as well as steal a few shots that Blake and D took.....

the lovely parents <3



hubby with Cristian


Me with Cristian


i may look a little scared in the picture but only because it has been a looooong time since i held a newborn- it was a piece of cake though, it felt very natural and completely surreal- does that make sense? i just couldn't believe that one of my closest friends had a baby- it made me realize just how much time flies. Mandy and Blake are going to be such amazing parents. they have unbelievably huge hearts and are wonderful people who would do anything they could to help you out. i am so excited to be apart of their lives and now apart of Cristian's! i walked out of the hospital feeling great- hubby did too. we both couldn't stop talking about how cute Cristian was and how lucky Mandy and Blake are- it's a beautiful thing to have a baby and i can't think of anything that D and I want more in life then to bring a baby into the world.

that being said, i have to thank all of you tremendously for your comments- it feels good to be able to have people to turn to- some of you i have met, some of you i have not and may never get the privilege to do so but it is still nice to know that people will share their opinions, thoughts, and encouragement with me on my blog, which is something i have grown to love about blogging.

after careful consideration and many hours of talking over wine (you have to have wine right? :0) hubby and i have decided that although we are ready to have children right now is not the time. another big secret? are you ready for this one guys?

we do not have health insurance....

wow, what a big secret for me to reveal on my blog! for a long time hubby and i would always dance around the subject of health insurance. it just seems like a taboo not to have health insurance and believe you me if we could afford it- we would have it! D's job offers it but it is far too expensive and my job does not currently offer it to me because of my status at work. so here we sit, two adults and no health insurance. i can't imagine having a baby and not having health insurance- i think not only about us and the costs we would accrue but also about the baby- what if she/he needed medical attention and we didn't have insurance? i realize that we would be able to pay out of pocket but paying out of pocket is NOT easy. To be honest i have never in my life had health insurance. when i was growing up my mom couldn't afford it so we always paid out of pocket. that being said because i have always paid out of pocket for my health care i have realized just how important it is. we definately plan on getting it soon- within the next 6 months- however right now it is still not feasible.

i also realized this weekend that not everything happens all at once. we got married almost a year ago, 41 days until our 1 year wedding anniversary! (not like i'm counting down or anything) it has always been hard for me to accept that some things you have to wait for. just because hubby and i may want kids right now does not mean it is the best time for us to do so. like i said before in my previous post we are soooo excited to have kids- we talk about it a lot and look forward to the future when we are a little more ready- we are ready emotionally but things are not quite set they way they need to be yet. at first when i realized this i was sad, why can't everything just happen right now?!!?!! hubby though, reminded me that just because it doesn't happen now, doesn't mean it won't happen soon- it just means not right this second- which i am okay with.

so until our time of TTC i will just have to gush about babies on my blog- and post cute pictures of my friends babies while we wait :0) i can't wait for our journey to begin as parents- it will be an amazing time full of love and excitement- it is something we both can not wait to start. when will we start? well my dear friends i can't let every secret go on my blog! :0) we definately have a time in mind and i of course will be glowing- too bad glow will not show on my blog :0)

have a great tuesday everyone!

6 comments:

Julia Goolia said...

Wow, good for you sharing your insurance secret. I'm going to refrain from stepping on my soapbox but will say this: without health insurance the hospital stay ALONE after giving birth would be overwhelming, let alone all of your visits leading up to the big day. I know you haven't ever had insurance, but sweetie....you need it now!

When I was working for a company that had crappy insurance, we took out a private policy thorough Anthem BCBS online. It really wasn't THAT expensive, and was a decent policy, too. I my opinion it's an absolute must. Murphy's law is too scary for me. What if something happened to one of you now [not even related to babies]? The amount you'd have to pay out of pocket would surely cover a year of health insurance in the first place.

Sorry for lying about 'not stepping on my soapbox' :) I just worry about you, especially as someone in healthcare--I know it's freaking expensive!

In any case, I'm proud of you guys for waiting a bit for babies. I've been at that point [where i just want them NOW!] and it's hard. But hang in there! The rest of your life will change forever after that, so enjoy these moments now.

Tasha said...

Cute pictures! Holding a newborn sure is scary, but I know you have that maternal instinct. And hey, you guys can baby sit as practice!

Okay, now I have to go with Julia. You neeeeeed health insurance. Especially before you even try to get pregnant. I'm guessing you've been very lucky and haven't had any major medical mishaps. I will applaud you on not letting your lack of health insurance prevent you from getting medical care and attention. BUT you two seriously need to research it.

If you can't afford it through your work, look at other providers. Health insurance is getting worse and worse, and even if you can only afford a policy with a large deductible, at least it's something.

You're a smart girl. You know this. I'm not trying to scare you, but you need to get it. If you have to wait 6 months, fine, but do it as soon as possible! You never know what could happen. You're brave for going this long without it, but that time is OVER. It does suck to have to pay for the "WHAT IF" but you owe it to yourself, your husband, and your future family.

And can I just say that this is why we need some sort of health care reform? Health care costs are ridiculous, and it makes insurance so expensive. I dont know what the answer is, but something needs to change. I really hope you are able to find something that works for you. But definitely get it before pregnancy!! PLEASE! I say it with love! :)

nikole said...

Wow - thanks for sharing this. It frustrates me that we don't have universal healthcare. And I agree, having health insurance is pretty important while pregnant and when having a baby. The bill for the day of our daughter's birth was over $35,000. And that doesn't even include the rest of her stay in the NICU OR my week-long hospital stay. I am so thankful that we had insurance - and (again) frustrated that everyone doesn't have it. Good luck figuring all of this out. Sounds like you two are making very wise decisions.

Elizabeth said...

I haven't been here in a long time. Lots of new things going on for you!

I only have a second but just wanted to echo what the others said about insurance. Get thee insured ASAP! That's an order!

Also, I realize this relates to your other post, but I've been practicing NFP for over a year now so if you ever want to chat about it, let me know. I'm happy to share my experience with you.

Jess P said...

If you'd like to see what it costs for a normal, vaginal delivery plus a baby in the NICU for a week, let me know. We would have never been able to pay that, and that doesn't even include my prenatal care, or AK's well baby visits, much less when any of us are sick.

I'm not trying to be preachy or jerky, but healthcare costs are astronomical and its much better to suck it up and pay insurance premiums each month. Also, if your income levels are ok, you and the hypothetical baby would probably be able to be on Badgercare for part of your pregnancy and after the baby is born, which might make it easier. Just something to think about.

I also practiced NFP for awhile, so I'm always open for chatting as well!

Evie Rynkiewicz said...

don't be ashamed about not having health insurance, our system doesn't make it easy for everyone to get affordable coverage. brian and i are very lucky to have good coverage while we are at Indiana University. also, i wanted to say its so great that you an your husband are thinking this through. it seems like too many people jump into things without thinking about what is best for the baby's future. my mom always says that you will know for sure when you need to have a baby--you body will scream it at you! brian and i really want kids too, but we agreed that we want to have everything as perfect as we can for babies as we can before we start a family. keep that good head on your shoulders!